Thursday, May 16, 2013

Carrie Underwood!

***Oops...wrote this a week or so ago and forgot to post it!

Guess who got to attend their first ever concert? KAITLYN! I know, lucky little gal! Back around Christmas, Wayne had gotten me two Carrie Underwood tickets and I had planned on taking my friend Kelly with me (she went with me a few years ago, too). Kelly ended up not being able to go at kind of the last minute. Kaitlyn had heard me talking about the concert several times in the last few months and kept asking if she would get to see Carrie Underwood. Back history: EVERY (and I do mean every) time we are in the car, Kaitlyn asks to listen to the Carrie Underwood CD (specifically song #6). She LOVES her. Anyways, when Kaitlyn heard me talking to Wayne about how Kelly couldn't go, she asked again if she could go to the concert with me. Mind you, I would have never thought for a second to take a 5 year old to a concert...who does that?! BUT, given the situation, I gave it some thought...

* A concert for a 5 year old, really? Ok, it's Carrie Underwood...she's Christian, country/pop and I know she'll give a "clean" show...I wasn't worried about cuss words, etc.

* Late at night on a school night? I'm not gonna lie, this was hard for me because I am a stickler about bed time. BUT...sometimes there are special occasions to break the rules, right? And school was PREschool for 2.5 hours, not all day. She could always take a nap after school.

*What will the concert go-ers think of me taking a 5 year old to a concert?! Will this ruin their 'adult fun'? Will other mom's look at me like "OMG, who takes their kid to a concert?!"

Well...ME, that's who! After talking to Wayne to make sure I wasn't insane for even thinking about taking her with me, I decided that this would be an awesome experience for Kaitlyn and I together. She seriously loves Carrie Underwood (so do I!) and what a fun mommy-daughter date! We made a whole night of it, too. We painted her toe nails, she put a new dress on, new sandals, we did her hair pretty, even took pictures in front of the house before we left. She was adorable!

I even let her pick the restaurant...Applebee's...you know, because they have the BEST hot dogs!   We sat on the same side of the booth next to each other, played Mad-Libs on the kids menu (her first time), laughed together and had such a blast. Dinner came and went and then we ordered dessert, which is a huge treat because we NEVER order dessert at restaurants. But they had a little brownie sundae for a DOLLAR...perfect! Then we were off to the concert!

We pulled in the parking garage and she was SO excited...asking when we would get to see Carrie Underwood, etc. It was then that I had to explain about the "opening act"...Hunter Hayes was opening for Carrie Underwood, but she didn't understand why a BOY was singing at a Carrie Underwood concert! LOL. So she asked several times where Carrie Underwood was and how long 'til we got to see her. When Hunter Hayes finished, they got the stage ready for Carrie Underwood and Kaitlyn was so super anxious. Then it happened..."Mommy, I have to go potty"...wha???? NOOOOOO! Carrie Underwood will be taking the stage any moment now...you CAN'T have to go potty, we'll miss it!!! LOL. Let me tell you how fast Kaitlyn and I RAN through the seats, up the stairs, down the hallway to the restrooms, went potty and got back to our seats...we were like lightening and made it just in time. Carrie Underwood came on about a minute after we got back...phew! Kaitlyn was so super excited...her eyes got huge, lit up and I could just tell she was loving it. It was adorable. She sun along to the songs she knew, she shook her tushy along to the music and everyone around us thought it was hilarious. She is quite the little crowd-pleaser. :o) 

She danced and sang the night away until the last 20 or so minutes of the concert...10pm hit and she was TIRED. I had been holding her most of the time so she could see, so when I put her on the chairs (standing so she could still see) she laid down and tried to go to sleep, lol. It was so cute. Poor girl was exhausted. The concert ended and we walked back to the car...and then sat still in the parking garage for about 20 minutes because EVERYONE was trying to leave at once. As soon as we got moving on the road, Kaitlyn passed out in her car seat...little girl danced 'til she dropped. :o)

Long story short, it was a GREAT night that I (and hopefully Kaitlyn) will remember forever. We had so much fun and I'm so happy she got to see her favorite singer in concert and that I got to share it with her. We definitely made some awesome memories. I HEART that little girl so very much!

No comments: