Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Girls Trip to Chicago...a Review!


Girls Trip to Chicago – July 18 – 21, 2012


In July, my Mom, Kaitlyn and I took a girls-only trip to Chicago! My mom and I have never really taken a vacation with just the two of us (other than many trips to Dayton when I was a kid), so I thought this would be a great experience. It took a lot of planning and research on the internet (we had to get the best deals!), so we were very excited when it was finally time to go!


Wednesday morning we headed for our Megabus stop in Toledo…and we waited…and waited…and waited. Our bus was about 45 minutes late (great way to start our trip, right?), so by the time we got loaded up, we were an hour behind schedule. I also discovered that the bus didn’t have the type of seatbelts I had been told it would, which made me a little nervous about how Kaitlyn was buckled. But, even though it wasn’t ideal, it all worked out fine in the end, so I suppose that’s what matters…we all got there safely. Also, those bus drivers don’t mess around! We got to Chicago in about 4 hours, which included a stop at a rest area for lunch. Overall, I was happy with our Megabus experience…three roundtrip tickets to Chicago for a total of $46.50…can’t beat it! Once in Chicago, we quickly hailed a cab and headed for our hotel (The Red Roof Inn), which was right in the heart of downtown, less than one block from Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile. For the low price we paid, our hotel room was pretty nice, although a bit on the small side…but we only needed a place to sleep and shower, so it was perfect, especially since it was in a superb location.


Now, onto the fun…exploring the city! We headed down Michigan Ave. (walking) and took in all the sights…tall buildings, lots of people, lots of traffic, loud sounds and shopping…OH THE SHOPPING! If there is a store, it’s in Chicago…seriously, every store you could dream of. I’m pretty impressed that neither of us spent too much shopping though…we’ll save that for another trip. :o)  Anyways, we made our way to Millennium Park and visited the Bean, which was pretty busy, but very cool. Then we headed over to Crown Fountain, where my mom held up a beach towel so Kaitlyn could change into her bathing suit. It was so hot that EVERYONE was getting soaked in the fountains, bathing suit or not (with clothes, no naked people, lol!) Kaitlyn had a ball, but I think Grandma enjoyed cooling off in the fountains even more! Then, after a quick change of clothes again, we walked down to Buckingham Fountain, which I believe is the largest fountain in the country…maybe? It was beautiful…several tiers high, lots of water shooting out of it, and positioned right up against the tall buildings of Chicago. After we admired Buckingham Fountain for a while, we were getting hungry so we headed back up Michigan Ave. to Pizzeria Uno for some Chicago deep-dish. Normally, I’m a thin-crust girl, but this deep-dish was different…and amazing! Crunchy, but in a good way, not a burnt way. Kaitlyn even liked it! After dinner we checked out a couple stores, then ran into 7-11 to pick up donuts for breakfast. Kaitlyn was chattering away in the stroller, then a minute later I look down and she’s totally passed out! We had planned on going to Navy Pier to see the fireworks then, but since she was sleeping (and it started raining) we headed back to our hotel.


Saturday we woke up, enjoyed some chocolate donuts (because according to Kaitlyn, that’s what you eat when you stay in a hotel) and got ready for the day early because this was Day #1 of our Go Chicago Cards. We walked up Michigan Ave. to the John Hancock Observatory (the 2nd tallest building in Chicago) and rode the elevator up to the 95ish floor. Talk about an amazing view! You could see the top of every building in Chicago (well, other than the Sears/Willis Tower, which is a tad taller) and many of them had pools on their roofs, which Kaitlyn excitedly pointed out. We also noticed that some buildings had grass on their roofs, which I was totally curious about. Come to find out, buildings grow grass on the roof as a way of providing extra insulation to the building, which reduces their energy costs, which earns them a tax break. That’s a much smarter idea than what I thought it was there for…a place for the resident doggies to crap! Bah! While we were way up high, Kaitlyn also wondered if we were “as high up as Jesus?” since we were in the clouds…how sweet is my girl?!
 

Next it was time to walk to Navy Pier, but it was so hot that we stopped at 7-11 for a Slurpie along the way…yes, at 10am…don’t judge, we were on vacation! It was a decently far walk and I’m not sure why we didn’t think to take the bus since we had our bus passes that day…but anyways, by the time we got there we were nice and sweaty so we jumped in yet another fountain to cool off. There was this adorable puppy playing in the water and he would yelp at the fountains to shoot out when they would quit…we watched him play for a while because he was so stinking cute! Finally, we headed inside to the Chicago Children’s Museum (yay air conditioning!) to play. The museum had lots of different areas like a mini-room that you needed a magnifying glass to see, an outdoors room with a veggie garden, kids-town with gas pumps, grocery store, a CTA bus, etc. They also had a water area, which was Kaitlyn’s favorite (now that’s a surprise)! They had little rain coats for the kids to put on so they could get as wet as possible. They had pumps that would shoot water up in the air and across the room and a bucket that you had to lift with one rope and dump with another rope (this was Kaitlyn’s favorite). It was very fun! Then we headed down to Bubba Gump’s Shrimp Company for lunch and WOW, it was delicious! My mom and I both had crab-stuffed-shrimp that was ah-mazing! After lunch we caught a boat for an architectural tour down the Chicago River. There are so many beautiful buildings in this city and it was pretty cool to learn a little more about them. Kaitlyn got a ‘first mate’ pirate-type hat at the end of the boat ride, so naturally she said “Argh! SHIMMER me timbers!” We then headed down the pier, took a few photos, got ride tickets and made our way around the rest of the pier and into…drumroll please…Build A Bear! Kaitlyn’s favorite!!! Before vacation I promised her we could get a Chicago Build A Bear, so she was pretty excited about this. After picking up 5 or so different animals, she finally decided on a pastel, rainbow colored bunny, stuffed him, added TWO hearts and voila, it was complete! But wait! It needs clothes! LOL. I had my hopes set on a Chicago t-shirt for the bunny (since this was Kaitlyn’s souvenir) but I didn’t see any at all. My mom saw a super cute purple shirt with jeans on clearance (woo!) so we decided on that…and of course, two seconds later we found the Chicago t-shirts. Dang it! Oh well, Kaitlyn loved the purple outfit and was already dressing her bunny in it. Then she looks up at the wall and says “I need those shoes!” LOL…this girl has the shopping gene already! I put the ka-bosh on the shoes, but Kaitlyn was a happy girl anyways. Armed with her new bunny (appropriately named “Rainbow Bunny”), we headed next door to a candy shop, where Kaitlyn thought she’d help herself to a Swedish Fish (ugh, of all the things??) I caught her just before it went in her mouth though, and made her put it in our bag. She also picked out the longest gummy worm ever…seriously, this thing was like 3 feet long! After a delicious dinner (nacho’s and margarita’s) at Margaritaville, we headed back to the hotel and passed out in exhaustion.


Friday’s agenda was packed, so we headed for the Shedd Aquarium bright and early. The building itself was amazing. It overlooked Lake Michigan and was beautiful. We saw the usual aquarium fish, as well as some turtles, lizards (Pascal!), jelly fish, penguins, a sea lion, etc. We also took in the aquatics show and got to see dolphins and Beluga whales, which were adorable! Lunch at the aquarium was amazing…probably the best museum-type restaurant I’ve ever been to. They had a nice selection at reasonable prices and lots of healthy options, even for the kiddo. After the aquarium, we walked down to the Adler Planetarium. Our walk there was beautiful, as it was right along the lake and it was a gorgeous day. We didn’t have much time to spend at the planetarium, so we really only saw the kids area, which was awesome! Kaitlyn put on a NASA jacket and her space pack and she was off! They had lots of fun ‘space’ things to try like a space potty, walking on the moon and a game that let her launch the rocket (which she played about 20 times). We also got to ‘jump on the moon’ together which was fun for Mommy, but Kaitlyn was a little too small to do it, but she had fun anyways. I was excited to get some space ice cream (the freeze-dried kind) and let Kaitlyn try it. I remember trying it in elementary school and it seemed delicious at the time…it’s not quite as yummy as I remember, but it was still fun and Kaitlyn really liked it. We had hoped to head back to the pier to catch another boat tour, but we probably wouldn’t have made it in time, so we decided to shop instead. :o)  So we hopped on the bus, where Kaitlyn promptly fell asleep on my leg and drooled all over my white pants. Super. When it was time to get off the bus, she wasn’t interested in waking up (we wore this girl out) so I carried my nearly 40 pound 4 year old down Michigan Ave. to the Disney Store…which was BARELY enough to make her wake up and check out the Rapunzel goodies. I was THIS close to buying her a Rapunzel crown/wig thing, thinking she could wear it for Halloween and dress-up, but she wasn’t too interested in it, so I let it go. However, MOMMY still dreams about it because it was super adorable…perhaps it’ll be an online purchase at another time? After Disney, we headed over to the American Girl Doll store (where I had NO intention of buying a $100 doll) and just looked around in awe of all the girly cuteness. They had EVERYTHING you could imagine for a doll in this store…clothes, accessories, a pet boutique, a hair salon for the dolls, a doll hospital for repairs, even a restaurant where you eat with your doll…they even had (get this!!) ‘doll holders’ in the restrooms! It was really quite something! Part of me wishes that Kaitlyn was more into dolls so she could have better appreciated the ridiculousness of this, but I suppose I should be thankful she wasn’t begging me to buy her a $100 doll! I actually wonder if Kaitlyn realized it was a doll STORE, as opposed to a MUSEUM. We also ventured into the Lego store, which is also something Kaitlyn isn’t really into yet, but she thought all the Lego creations were pretty neat. There was a giant Woody from Toy Story and a replica of the Sears/Willis Tower (made from Lego’s) and she thought that was pretty neat. We headed to dinner and ended up at Jake Melnic’s (I think)…this was after trying to get into Giordano’s pizza, which had a 90 minute wait. No thank you…no pizza can be THAT good. Jake Melnic’s was awesome though…a pub-style place with excellent food. I had the biggest club sandwich I’ve ever seen, Kaitlyn had a hotdog (yippee) and my Mom had this amazing pizza-mac-n-cheese stuff…I forget what it was called, but it was delicious! After a little more shopping, we headed to the hotel for our last sleep in Chicago.


Saturday, our last day in Chicago, was a bit of a disaster…not really, but we didn’t get to do everything we had hoped and nothing seemed to work in our favor on this day. First we headed to the Sears/Willis Tower (or as Kaitlyn calls it, “the tallest building EVER!”). It was a bit of a wait to get in, but not too bad. The view were nice, but I actually liked the John Hancock Observatory views better. We went out on the Sky Deck (a clear, Plexiglas-like box that hangs over the edge of the building 103 floors up), which was neat, but there were so many people that it felt like we had to rush and I didn’t get to take as many fun pictures as I had hoped. We headed back down and tried to catch a bus to the pier, but there were some construction detours so we weren’t exactly sure where to catch the bus. We finally got it figured out and were about a block away from the bus stop when we saw our bus fly by. Darn it, just missed it! So we waited for the next one…and waited and waited. Up until this point I thought we had the bus map/schedule figured out, but apparently things are different on a Saturday. So we start walking to another bus stop and then the bus we were waiting for pulls up at a stop light…we were totally the crazy people knocking on the door to be let in at an un-official stop. Thankfully the driver let us on and we were finally off to Navy Pier again. Did you know that EVERYONE in Chicago goes to Navy Pier on a Saturday…EVERYONE. It. Was. Packed. PACKED!!!! So we herded through the masses to the boat slip and JUST missed the Tall Ship Windy pulling away…I mean, they just lifted the ropes…I tried to let the pirate-guy let us just jump from the dock, but he didn’t think that’d be a good idea…something about the coast guard fining them. Whatever. By this point we were all a little bummed, grumpy and starving, so we fought our way back inside to go to Bubba Gump’s for lunch again (that food surely would save the day!) and it was an hour wait. Hrmph. I had also wanted to eat at Ed Debevic’s (a 50’s style diner with rude waiters – for fun, of course), but it wasn’t really close to anywhere we were, so we caught the bus back to our hotel area. We found this quaint little Italian Bistro and decided to check it out…glad we did because it was super yummy (lunch to the rescue!) We both had sub-style sandwiches, but they were really good…and they probably tasted better than they were because we were STARVING by this point! After debating dessert, we decided we were too stuffed and headed for the hotel to pick up our luggage. Then we headed for the city bus stop so it could take us to our Megabus stop…the logistics of this part worried me a little bit because how would 2.5 people carry 2 backpacks, 2 suitcases, a stroller and a few random bags and purses onto and off of a bus?! I’m sure it was quite the site, but we made it. We had plenty of time to kill before our Megabus came, so we stopped in another restaurant (did I mention that we ATE a LOT on this trip?) for some ice cream…and again, another fantastic place. They served our ice cream with little cookies…it was super cute and very much appreciated, especially by the 4 year old! After one final potty stop (and a little dancing in the bathroom because they were rocking out in there), we made our way to the bus home (which was on time). The bus home wasn’t nearly as packed as it was on our trip there, so it was nice to have a little room to spread out. Kaitlyn fell asleep (about 10 minutes into our ride) sitting straight up, so I put her bunny by her face and tipped her head over so she’d have a little pillow. Well, that was a mistake because she wasn’t totally out yet and that woke her right up. Oopsy. She finally did fall back to sleep about an hour later…on my lap. :o)  I didn’t mind the extra snuggles one bit though…and honestly, I was depending on her body heat to keep me from freezing because that bus driver had the A/C cranked up! Kaitlyn was a tired girl though, and slept a good 2 ish hours. We finally made it home, where Wayne was waiting when we got there. We almost forgot to get our luggage off the bus…that would’ve been bad!


All in all, our trip was wonderful! Other than running out of time and not being able to squeeze everything in that we wanted, our trip was perfect. Next time I could add another day or two though. We really enjoyed our mother-daughter-granddaughter bonding time and I’m sure this will be a trip we remember forever. I am very lucky to have a mom who is one of my best friends and a daughter who is such a good traveler! We had so many good laughs, had some awesome food and got to experience a lot of Chicago together…great memories made!

No comments: