Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Our Little Girl is Growing Up!

I wrote this post about a week ago...just haven't had the time to actually put it on here 'til tonight!

I just had to note a few “big girl” moments that happened this week. On Sunday I took Kaitlyn to get her very first pair of tap shoes. She starts a ballet/tap combo class at the YMCA next week. She was SO excited to try them on and immediately starting ‘tapping’ around like she knew what she was doing. Of course, this is not the case, as she has never taken tap in her life and has never even seen a ‘real’ tap dancer…only on Max & Ruby! But she had a ball tapping around the store and then again at home…which prompted us to get her a little piece of cardboard to tap on, as to not ruin our tile floor (or annoy us as much). Along with her new tap shoes came the thrill of learning to TIE them! They have ribbon-like laces, which probably makes them even harder to tie, but she’s trying and is doing pretty well. She can make the knot, the first loop, and swoop around just fine…but has trouble when she gets to pulling the second loop through…but she’s trying! Such a big girl!!

 

Another “big girl” moment came last night…probably more so to me, than anyone else though. Kaitlyn and I went on a “run” together! I’m signed up for a 5k this Saturday and along with it is a 1k kids race. This will be her first time running a race, so I wanted to make sure she wasn’t going to poop out after going 10 feet. :o)  So we ran together around the block, which was a half mile…only .10 less than what she’ll run on Saturday. She stopped a couple times, but only for a few seconds and then she’d get right back to running with me. She did so well and it was the cutest thing ever watching her skinny little legs run and run and run! She certainly has her Mommy’s runner-body! Hopefully she’ll run the whole thing Saturday and try to keep up with the other kids. It would be so exciting if she enjoyed running as much as her Momma some day!

 

Other recent “big girl” notables include knowing our new address (including city, state and zip code) and phone number. And learning to write her name the correct way…she’s been writing her name since before she turned 3, but it was all uppercase letters – KAITLYN. Now, she’s learning to write it correctly – Kaitlyn. I really feel like she COULD have gone to kindergarten this year, especially now that she knows these last few items. But oh well…one more year or preschool, coming up. All the “big kids” around here start school this week, but Kaitlyn doesn’t go back to preschool until September 5th, after Labor Day. I’m excited for her to go back and I really think she’ll enjoy it more this year. She seems to be more interested in making friends lately, so hopefully she’ll be more social and outgoing this year. I can’t believe I’ll be shipping her off to kindergarten at this time next year…what a sad day that’s going to be!

No comments: