I’m baaa-aack! Back to being a runner, that is! I realized
that I haven’t written much about running on here, so I’ll give a little
update. It all started way back in the spring…there was talk of this Track
& Field event that took place through my work and it sounded really
fun…except that I hadn’t REALLY run in years. Sure, I had taken a few jogs
since having Kaitlyn, but I hadn’t run any races or really been committed to
running with any consistency in a very long time. I kind of felt like something
was ‘missing’ from my formerly-active life and it finally seemed like I had a
little extra time that I could contribute to running.
So, I signed up for the Glass City Marathon 5k, which took
place in April. I had only run a handful of times prior to that race, so I
didn’t do very well…but it was a start. And more importantly, it gave me the
motivation I had been lacking for the last few years…and brought back my
competitive spirit, which also seemed to disappear after having Kaitlyn. Race
day was FREEZING, but I managed to make it through the 3.1 miles in 27:07…the
slowest 5k I’ve ever ran. But, oddly enough, it was good enough for 3rd
place in my age group…not because I’m fast, but because all the good/fast
runners were in the half and full marathon also being run that day. But, I got
hardware nonetheless, which certainly boosts the confidence…it also made me
feel like I should work a little harder so I’m actually deserving of that
medal.
Next up was the Corporate Cup Relays, a Track & Field
meet in Michigan where Chrysler, Ford, GM and other companies compete against
each other. I organized a team from work (which only consisted of myself and
two other employees) and we headed up to meet the other hundred-something
members of the Chrysler team. First up, the 5k. It was crazy hot and I had been
having some thyroid issues for the last few weeks…in fact, my doctor made me
take a few weeks off from running until we got things under control. At the
start of the race I went out WAY too fast (trying to keep up with the guys from
work…duh) and ran the first mile in about 7 minutes…and then felt awful for the
last two miles. I even ended up walking a little bit during the water stops,
just because I was overheating and exhausted. This thyroid stuff is no joke! I
finished with a time of 25:28, good enough for 2nd in my age group.
Then it was time for my other event…high jump?! I haven’t high jumped since
high school, but I thought it’d be really fun to give it a try again, some 14
years later. In high school, the highest I jumped was 5’2”…at the Corporate Cup
I jumped 4’6”…which, at 32 years old, felt about the same as 5’2” did many
years ago! It came back quickly, but obviously my body is MUCH different now
and not in nearly as good of shape. But it was really fun! I was the only girl
to clear opening height (4’0”) but our scores were combined, so that didn’t
really matter. At any rate, it was a really fun event and I plan to do it again
next year.
Two weeks later was the Cedar Creek 5k at our church. This
was also a hot run, as it didn’t start until later in the morning. I knew it
would be a pretty small event and I told myself I was just going to go at my
own pace, not try to keep up with anyone and just enjoy the run…I have to say,
this method seems to work best for me, LOL. I felt great almost the entire run,
except for going uphill over the overpass (those darn hills just about kill
me!) I even had energy left at the end and was able to kick it in for the last
half mile or so…it felt like I was flying at the end…LOVE finishing like that!
I finished with a time of 25:25, 1st place in my age group! It was a
small race, but I’ll take it!
Notice the title of this post is Running GIRLS (as in more
than just me)? Guess who ran their first ever race last weekend? Kaitlyn!! I
signed up for the Wabash Cannonball 5k and saw that there was a kids 1k event
too. The Ballards (Amanda & Justin) were also signed up for the 5k – it was
Amanda’s FIRST EVER 5k – so Gavin and Abby joined Kaitlyn in the 1k (.6 miles).
The kids race was first and our kids were young enough that they didn’t want to
run on their own, so I ran with Kaitlyn, Justin ran with Gavin and Amanda ran
with Abby. They all did really good and it was super cute watching all the
little kids run. Kaitlyn did awesome and ran the ENTIRE race without stopping!
It was really fun sharing that experience with her, cheering her on, telling
her “Keep going, you can do it!” I could see her tiny muscles working so hard
in those little legs of hers! She really did great and I’m so proud of her…how
fun it would be if she was a runner like her Mommy! After the kids race, it was
time for the 5k. At the start, I hung out in the back with Amanda -- did I
mention it was her FIRST EVER race – but as soon as the race started, we all
went our separate ways. For some reason, I keep going out too fast (which is
funny because in high school I always went out too slow) and got to the 1 mile
marker around 7 minutes (too fast). It was another hot evening and by the start
of the 3rd mile I was zapped…I even stopped to walk while I drank my
water at the water stop, so I could actually get the water IN me, as opposed to
just throwing it on my face and hoping some gets in my mouth. I finished in
25:28, which was good enough for 1st in my age group again. Justin
finished just ahead of me (boo!) and we cheered Amanda in for her finish – she
did awesome!! It was really fun having friends at the race with me!
Finally, my most recent race happened this past Tuesday,
just three days after the Wabash 5k. This race was unchartered territory for me
because it was a 4 miler…4.2 miles, to be exact. I’ve never raced anything
longer than a 5k until this point. But I HAD to participate in this event
because it was the Fort to Port Race, celebrating the opening of the new Route
24 bypass through Waterville. The road hadn’t opened to traffic yet, so they
had a once in a lifetime race on the new freeway. We started at Kroger, ran two
miles east on the new freeway, turned around and ran two miles west, back up
the other side. I was nervous for this run because A) I had never raced 4 miles
before; B) the freeway is CONCRETE which isn’t so giving on the body; C) there
were a lot of hills; and D) I just ALWAYS get nervous. I went in with every
intention of having an EASY run, not pushing myself, just enjoying the
surroundings, etc. and I didn’t really have a goal time in mind. I cruised
through the first two miles and felt pretty good (thanks to my new running
watch that plays music!). By the third mile my body was starting to feel the
effects of the concrete a little, but I still felt pretty good…even the hills
weren’t so bad. Once I got to the beginning of the exit ramp, I kicked it up a
notch because I felt really good…so I kicked it in the last half mile or so. I
could have gone even faster, but the end was congested with the walkers
returning too, so I was weaving around people, trying to get to the finish
line. My official time of 36:11 was 4th in my age group…shoot, no
coffee mug for me. But I did get a medal since the top 100 finishers got a
commemorative medal.
That’s FIVE races since April…I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever
run one or two 5k’s in a year…certainly never five! Needless to say, I’m really
enjoying being a “runner” again. Mommy is much happier if she gets a little “me
time” LOL! I’m sure I’ll run a few more races this summer/fall and the PLAN is
to continue running through the winter (BBRRRR) so that I’m still in decent
shape next spring because…drumroll please…I hope to run the Glass City HALF
Marathon next April!! Holy crap, that’s 13.1 miles!!!! Am I nuts?! It really
doesn’t seem that impossible anymore, so we’ll give it a go. J I have a new
(expensive) running watch, new running shoes and a bumper sticker that says
“13.1” on it…of course, I’m not allowed to display this sticker on my car until
I actually run 13.1 miles…but it’s sitting on my desk for motivation…hopefully
it works!
No comments:
Post a Comment