Friday, October 4, 2013

Kaitlyn Reads Green Eggs & Ham!

My BABY can read! Like, for real read...real books! Kaitlyn has been doing very well reading site words since she turned 4...she loved playing Site Word Bingo, reading BOB books and she's always loved reading books together at bedtime. We haven't worked much on reading...never really did flash cards or anything like that...but since Kaitlyn was 1 she has always loved looking at books. We've been reading a book at bedtime since she was just a couple months old. As she got older, I would sometimes point to a few words in the book as I read...and then Kaitlyn would start saying the words with me. Eventually, she learned how to sound out short words and she knew enough site words that she could read BOB books on her own (very short, beginner books) and most of the pre-reader level 1 books that we have. Well, earlier this week Kaitlyn, Aundrea and I read Green Eggs & Ham before bed. I would read a page, then Kaitlyn, then I would help Aundrea. Well, Kaitlyn didn't need any help on any of the pages she read, so by the time we got to the end of the book I was thinking to myself "Holy cow, I think Kaitlyn could read this whole book!" So the next night Wayne read to Aundrea so Kaitlyn could read to me...and do you know what?? Kaitlyn read the ENTIRE book herself!!! She had to sound out a couple words, but otherwise she was even pretty fluent reading it! It took her a while to get through all 62 pages, but when she finished the last page she (and I) was sooooo excited!! She was just beaming ear to ear with the biggest smile and then she said "Mommy, I can't believe I just read 62 pages by myself!" LOL. Love that girl so much and am soooo proud of how much she enjoys learning!!

In other kindergarten news, I've emailed back and forth with both girls' teachers a little this week, just to see how they're doing. And the consensus is...they are both doing great! Phew! Aundrea has learned all her site words for the 1st quarter now, aced her shapes test, is REALLY improving with her letter sounds and is making friends just fine. She says her BFF at school (besides Kaitlyn, of course) is Liam...a BOY! He even gave her a rubberband bracelet! Her teacher said the only thing she really needs to work on is her printing. She's having a little trouble printing her name where it needs to be on lined paper...but we're working on it! Kaitlyn's teacher said she's doing great as well. She knows all her 1st quarter items and just need to master letter sounds of 2-sound letters (long and short a, e, i, o, u, g, c). Her teacher did say she's a little quiet in class (speak up girl, you know the answers!!) and is usually the last kid to pack up her stuff when it's time to go. In other words, she's the opposite of the kid who wants to be in the front of the line for everything, lol. Not sure how we can 'teach' her to get ready faster...she does NOT have a "hurry up" mode when you want her to...I know that first-hand! Anyways, since she's doing so well with reading, her teacher said she could bring in a book to read to the class! I bet she'd be a little nervous...but I'm hoping it'll give her confidence if she can get the guts to do it. :o)  Anyways...I'm so proud of both these girls...they are doing GREAT in kindergarten! I can't believe they'll be getting their first report cards at the end of the month!

In non-school news, Kaitlyn finally has a slightly wiggly tooth! The dentist said it was starting to move a little when we were there a month or so ago...she guessed it'd be out around Christmas. Well, then you couldn't really feel it move at all, lol. But now, you can tell it definitely has a little 'give' to it...so not super wiggly by any means, but it's getting there. She was so bummed when Aundrea lost her first tooth because Kaitlyn didn't have so much as a wiggle...and Kaitlyn's older so she just couldn't understand how Aundrea would lose a tooth before her! So now, she's getting a little excited.

No comments: