Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our LONG Weekend Trip!!

Wow, what a weekend! I'm warning you now...this is probably going to be a long one! :o) So, we left Thursday evening around 9:30pm for Big Bay, Michigan to visit my Dad. We figured driving at night would save us a bunch of time because Kaitlyn would be sleeping most of the time...and she did! She slept the entire way there...about 9 hours driving time, plus a few potty breaks. We didn't even hear a peep out of her 'til we took her out of the car seat when we got there around 7:30am (her usual wake up time)! She did great!! So, that was a relief! Well, Wayne and I were exhausted from being up driving all night long, so we took a little nap while Grandpa Maloch watched Kaitlyn. The rest of the day we caught up on sleep and just relaxed around their log cabin...nice and relaxing! We walked down to the beach and let Kaitlyn see a BIG lake! Then it was dinner, a bottle and off to bed...it took a little coaxing to get her to sleep in a new place, but not too bad! Phew!

Saturday my Dad, Wayne and I went fishing and left Kaitlyn at home w/Marti. I caught 3 fish and the boys didn't catch any!! He he!! Then, back home for lunch and then the girls went shopping...I found some super deals and put a dent in Kaitlyn's clothes for the next year and a half or so!! Hooray for deals! Saturday was also Kaitlyn's 6 month birthday (isn't that crazy?!) so we celebrated with some brownies and ice cream...I ate Kaitlyn's for her since she can't have any yet! :o)

Sunday morning was Kaitlyn's first church experience and she was the star of the show! Ha ha! We got there a little late (I'm playing the baby card here!) so we sat toward the back. Marti was holding Kaitlyn and she was just laughing at this woman sitting behind us! It was so funny! She was laughing so loud, everyone was laughing at her then, even the minister and I was turning beet red! Fortunately, no one seemed to mind the cute baby making all the noise! Phew! Kaitlyn even got a little nap in during the sermon and then it was off to have some after church treats and Grandpa and Grandma Marti wanted to show the baby off to all the church-goers! Later that day we did a LOT of driving around...Wayne REALLY wanted to see either a bear or a moose, so here we are, crammed into our car driving all over creation trying to see what we can find! No luck though! We ended up doing a hike to a waterfall...just a short hike, nothing super long with the baby! I've decided we need to get a baby carrier of some sort because hiking while holding a baby is hard work and probably not the safest either! But it was fun...Kaitlyn even got to put her feet in the water at the bottom of the falls...bbrrr...cold...not sure what she thought about that! But we all had a good time and were all tired so we slept well that night!

Monday we left after breakfast...around 9am or so. I wanted to try a long drive during the day time to see how she would do...and it went A-OK I think! We stopped for lunch around 1pm and fed her...and then fed her again at a rest area around 5pm...she napped pretty much on schedule in the car and I played with her in the back seat for a while and she did great until about the last hour or so...she had definitely had enough of being strapped down to that car seat! So the last hour she was starting to get fussy, so I was really working hard to keep her entertained! It's a lot of work to keep a baby happy in the car all day long!! But we made it home around 8pm...a long road trip, but Kaitlyn did really well. I couldn't have expected the trip to go any better than it did!!

So, now were home and back to work...BLAH...it's always hard to come back after a nice vacation!! Kaitlyn woke up teary eyed this morning...not crying or upset, but like her eyes were watering or something. Then later this morning she had a little bit of a runny nose...could this be her first cold??? Not sure yet...we'll just keep our eye on it for now. Tomorrow she has her 6 month check up anyways...ugh, more shots! This is the last round of shots for a while though (I think) so that's good. I'm anxious to see how much she weighs now and how long she's getting. She's doing pretty well with sitting up on her own...soft places like the couch she does great on...harder surfaces like the floor are a little tougher, but she's getting the hang of it! I wish I had more time to play with her and work with her on these milestones!! I had so much fun spending time with her this weekend...it makes me realize how much I miss during the work week! Anyways, check the Shutterfly site for pictures from our trip!!

No comments: